Edits OK
    Photography Exp
    Inter
    Photoshop Exp
    Inter
    Real Name
    Gem

Goldfinches

We've been getting a pair of goldfinches coming to our feeders on and off last year and I'm really happy they have returned again this year. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get shots of them as they are very skittish with movement by the window in the house. But today I managed a few grab shots.

This is quite a large crop in the region of 50% or so. I zoomed to 50% in GIMP on my laptop screen, then cropped what I saw.

5D mk III, Tamron 70-200 @ 169mm, f5.6, 1/160, ISO 2000. Spot metered from the central focus point which was closer to the second of the two birds on the sunflower heart seeds.

[IMG][/IMG]

I increased the exposure by 0.2 in DPP, then cropped (massively), boosted contrast and saturation and applied USM in GIMP. Sorry about the pink swing frame in the background; my eldest refused to have the dark blue and green one which would have looked slightly better in the garden. Kids never think about how nice things look!

What do you think?

Thanks for looking, Gem.
    register or log in to view signatures!

Edit Permission
    Edits OK
    Photography Exp
    Inter
    Photoshop Exp
    Beginner
    Real Name
    Gerard Anderson

Re: Goldfinches

Nice one. doesn't look bad with the amount of crop either

Photography Exp
    Inter
    Photoshop Exp
    Inter

I like the birds Gembobs but the pink thing has to go! Can you get a different angle on the feeders so that you can't see the swing?

Edit Permission
    Edits OK
    Photography Exp
    Inter
    Photoshop Exp
    Inter
    Real Name
    Gem

I agree Ffion! I should have stood at the other side of the 2.5m wide window where the fully glazed door is, but my camera was on this side and in the past they flew away as soon as I got close enough to the window to get a photo, so I took the photos without moving. I'm hoping they keep returning this year now and get braver so I can get some better shots of them.

Thanks Gerry.

Here's the original shot (sooc, converted in DPP) so you can see the amount of crop.

Photography Exp
    Beginner
    Photoshop Exp
    Beginner
    Real Name
    Nigel

The swing is fine... it looks if you need to move the bird feeders a tad so you miss the swing.

Edit Permission
    Edits OK
    Photography Exp
    Inter
    Photoshop Exp
    Inter
    Real Name
    Graham Taylor

I like the cropped version too Gem. Shame about the swing. You could probably clone out the smaller bit of pink on the far right. Cropping might get close to the bird's tail. You have done well to get 2 Goldfinches at the same time, the most I have ever seen is 1 on it's own, and not very often at that.

Edit Permission
    Edits OK
    Photography Exp
    Inter
    Photoshop Exp
    Inter
    Real Name
    Gem

Thanks for the comments everyone. When I've seen the goldfinches in my garden they have always been in pairs. But, like you say Graham, only one at a time has fed while the other remained in one of the trees or shrubs. I haven't seen them since, though I haven't spent as much time in the house in the last few days.

Unfortunately the layout of my garden means I can't really move the swing or the feeders into better locations, but I can stand / sit on the other side of the dining room and get a cleaner background from the feeder. Next time they visit, I'll hopefully have a bit more time to make sure I have a better background than the grab shot I took the other day

Edit Permission
    Edits OK
    Photography Exp
    Beginner
    Photoshop Exp
    Beginner
    Real Name
    Andy Cade

Lovely birds !